A baseplate adheres to your peristomal (around the stoma) skin, helping protect your skin from stoma output, and attaching the pouch to your body.
In a two-piece system, the baseplate is separate from the pouch; in a one-piece system they are combined together.
- Standard wear: Best for colostomy.
- Extended wear: Designed to provide greater protection from stoma output for people living with an ileostomy or urostomy as output can cause skin irritation.
Baseplate openings vary in fashion, including:
- Cut-to-fit: Can be cut to accommodate your unique stoma size.
- Pre-cut: Available in a wide variety of sizes to accommodate your stoma, without the need for cutting.
- Mouldable: By moulding around the stoma, this skin barrier creates a snug fit designed to provide greater leakage protection than traditional baseplates.
ConvaTec baseplates come in the following varieties: